Sunday, March 11, 2018

Obituaries of My Grade School Teachers

Below, I included the obituaries for two people who I count on the short list of positive influences on my life.   Miss Atkinson and Miss Worrell came to Huntington Park First Baptist Elementary school in 1966.    Miss Atkinson was my first grade teacher and later was my third grade teacher, while Miss Worrell was the principal.   After three years, Miss Atkinson and Miss Worrell set out on their own, and started a small private elementary school at 9458 Firestone Blvd, Downey, CA.   They were both my teachers for my fourth and fifth grades. 

I can say, that academically, they helped set the stage for success in my life.   I have fond memories of class instruction, including learning my multiplication tables, a speech contest, field trips, trips to the park for foot races and kite flying, lunches from taco bell and McDonald's, as well as Christmas plays, and arts /crafts.   I remember my friends from that school.   More importantly, I remember the strong Biblical Christian teaching I received from Miss Atkinson and Miss Worrell.

After the two years of my fourth and fifth grades, Miss Atkinson and Miss Worrell shut the school down (I suspect due to financial difficulties), and hopped in their Volkswagen bus, and headed back to Maryland.   I remember a time when I was in high school, and they came back to California and we spent an afternoon together visiting.   I also remember sending a few final pictures of the structure of elementary school to them as it was being torn down, some time around 1986 or thereafter.

Both Miss Atkinson and Miss Worrell devoted some years of their lives to Christian missionary work.   As you can read below, Miss Atkinson went to Borneo; I remember a third grade project report being on the Sarawak people of Borneo and their 'Long Houses" on stilts.   And Miss Worrell went on a mission to India.

I'll be honest, I'm a little saddened by their obituaries minimal mention of their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.   I hope (and I'd be glad to receive correction on this), but I hope that the seeming deficit of glory and honor attributed to God for their lives, is not their fault.   I would love to have seen a greater emphasis and proclamation of the Gospel being made in their obituaries.

God bless...


Ellen Frances Atkinson

Ellen Frances Atkinson passed away peacefully in her sleep on October 5, 2015. Ellen was born on March 18, 1930, in Clinton, NC, to the late Alford C. and A. Ernestine (nee Hales) Atkinson. She was a graduate of the class of 1947 at Glen Burnie High School and earned her Bachelor's Degree in English from Asbury College in Wilmore, KY. After graduation, she returned home to Maryland briefly before embarking on a mission trip to Borneo to teach English for 11 years. Upon her return to Maryland, she settled in Pasadena and she worked for Anne Arundel County Public Works for almost 20 years. After retiring, she enjoyed camping, vacationing with family to North Carolina, and painting pictures of her adventures. She is preceded in death by her best friend of 48 years, Jan Worrell, and three brothers, Charles, Wallace and Ernest Atkinson, and two sisters-in-law, Evelyn Atkinson Priller and Charlotte Atkinson. She is survived by one sister-in-law, Elsie Atkinson, and many nieces and nephews. Family and friends are invited to gather at the family owned and operated MCCULLY-POLYNIAK FUNERAL HOME, P.A. 3204 Mountain Road in Pasadena, MD, Thursday, October 8, 2015, from 10-11 am, followed by a service at 11 am and internment at Glen Haven Memorial Park. In lieu of flowers, donations in her honor may be made to a charity of your choice.



Marjanet A. Worrell

February 6, 1926 ~ June 23, 2013 (age 87)
Worrell, Marjanet A. "JAN", a long time resident of Pasadena, died Sunday June 23, 2013 at the Baltimore-Washington Medical Center.    She was born to the late Esther and Charles Worrell, she was preceded in death by her sister, Beverly and Bev's husband Bud Gunderson and nephew Gary Gunderson. Surviving are her niece Gail and husband Matt Sundy and their son Blake and niece Jody and husband Earle Curtice.    Her strong faith led her to mission work in India for over 13 years. Eventually, she settled in Pasadena where she dedicated over 20 years of service in Anne Arundel County until she retired as head of Animal Control in 1992.    After retiring, she enjoyed camping, vacationing with family, kite flying, Orioles Baseball and ravens Football.    She is survived by her devoted friend of 48 Years , Ellen Atkinson and loved dearly by many nieces and nephews.    Relatives and friends are invited to call at the family owned and operated MCCULLY-POLYNIAK FUNERAL HOME, P.A. 3204 Mountain Road PASADENA on Wednesday 11 AM to 12 Noon at which time funeral services will be held.  Interment Glen Haven Memorial Park Cemetery. In lieu of flowers contributions may be made in her honor to the A.S.P.C.A. 

No comments:

Spreading the truth of Jesus Christ and the Good News that Salvation is available through Him.

Blog Archive