Sunday, October 02, 2005

Looking Back

We went to the second service at church this morning. By way of background, at our church, we go through the Bible, chapter by chapter and verse by verse. The message was on Romans chapter three. Much of what was presented was exactly what I present to people when I talk with them, and tell them about Christ. The pastor called this a "foundation" for the Gospel. I'd say it was more a plow, that softens the soil of our hearts and prepares us to hear and receive the Gospel.

A couple of weeks ago, I talked with a junior high young man, named Tony. He was walking home from school and had is football gear with him, and since I have a great deal of football experience, we had something in common to talk about. I told him I would come to one of his games. I tried that Friday, but was only able to stay until his team walked onto the field. The next day, I saw him coming home from practice, while I was out raking the leaves. He is a super nice kid, and we talked a little more about his football season, then I turned to conversation to what he believed about the "after life". He said he believed in heaven and hell. I asked him where he thought he would go, and he said heaven. I asked him why he believed that, and he said "because he was a pretty good kid." I asked him if he had ever told a lie. He said yes. I asked him what that made him, he said "a bad person." I said, what specifically do you call someone who tells a lie. He said, "a liar." I asked him if he had ever taken something that wasn't his, he said no. I asked him if he had ever used God's name in vain. He needed a little bit of explanation as to what that meant, but he agreed that he had done that. I asked him if he had ever dishonored his parents. He said yes. I said Tony, "by your own admission, you're a lying, blaspheming, parent dishonorer, and you have to face God on judgment Day. Will God judge you innocent or guilty. He said "guilty." Would you go to heaven or hell. He said "heaven", because God is forgiving, isn't He? I said yes, God is forgiving, but He also is bound by His own righteous nature to judge us justly, and we deserve hell. He said oh, I guess I'd go to hell then. I got to share how we did the crime, but God became a man in Jesus Christ to die on the cross for our sins. And that three days later, He rose from the dead to defeat death on our behalf. I told him that if he would "repent", which means to change your mind about sin, and turn away from it, and turn to God for mercy he could be saved. I told him that if he would put his trust in Jesus Christ to save him, that Jesus would save him, not because he was a good person, but because Jesus took his punishment for him. I gave Tony a pocket Gospel and encouraged him to read it. I haven't heard back yet, but I anxiously await a report that Tony has put his faith in the LORD Jesus Christ.

God bless...

No comments:

Spreading the truth of Jesus Christ and the Good News that Salvation is available through Him.

Blog Archive